Sunday, December 4, 2011

Stay frosty

It's been five weeks since I last posted, due to a perfect storm of ongoing family health issues, the momentum of the teaching semester, and freelance work (in addition to the other things that always keep me busy). 

November in southern New England was "unseasonable." I was running in shorts some days, as it was 60 degrees outside and positively balmy. Dogwood and apple trees were blossoming. As Sam said, "This weather would be lovely if it didn't seem like a sign of the apocalypse." 

There was frost on the ground just the other day, cold enough to finally warrant a wool coat and warm hat. I love both the bright "poppy" color and the cut of this Charles Nolan coat, which I found at a consignment store. I've had the ultrasuede Alessandra Bacci hat for years - it came from Marshall's - and it's served me well through many winters. The Indian silk scarf was a gift.




Sometimes, of course, my clothing is not so much joyful as it is performative (although I'd argue that all clothes are performative, even when it's not obvious). I like to think that this outfit - especially when paired with my black leather jacket - makes me look like some version of a bad girl at a Catholic school, the kind of girl you'd cut class and smoke a joint with behind the gym (think Tammy Metzler in "Election"). 



Shirt and vest, Thomas Pink. Scarf (as tie), Hermes, on loan. 
Belt, Tommy Hilfiger, thrift store. Skirt, Berger and Mikkelson, New Zealand thrift store.


And sometimes "performative" means wearing clothes that are walking studies of colors and patterns, like this riot of black and white against the pop of a bright wool felt skirt. This mod coat was a 30th birthday gift from my dear friends John and Ester, and had belonged to John's grandmother. She must have been exactly my size, because I didn't need to have it hemmed. The knit tunic top has appeared on this blog before - it came from a flea market in Porto Ercole, Italy, and I suspect it's Missoni (it lacks a label but does have a "Made in Italy" tag inside). The bag is by Orla Kiely (a consignment store purchase), and while the pattern is of flatware, I think it also vaguely resembles a city skyline.



I aim to post more before I depart for Delhi next Saturday, but it's going to be a crazy week, with preparations for the trip, the last day of class, and, more importantly, my next MRI and followup with the oncologist. 

Here's a little autumn inspiration until my next post: pink dogwood, blooming in November, and some really gorgeous leaves from Boston (the roundish ones with the tie-dye effect are birch).

Does this mean the End Times are near? 



Until next time, Namaste, and dress well.

Kelley

1 comment: